Thanks for boldly stepping forward to try the Audio-Visual Stim version of SoundSelf! This is an early prototype: it’s a little clunky to set up and may be buggy. But we're thrilled to share it with you because this combination elevates the experience to an exquisite level!
Glasses supported: MindPlace Kasina or Limina (buy here)
SoundSelf uses a microphone to work. You want to use long " ahhhhhhh" tones through the whole experience (other than the guided meditations that bookend the experience... it should be pretty obvious). If your webcam microphone isn't working well for the experience, I almost always use an inexpensive usb mic from Amazon. This one works great.
Make sure that the correct microphone and audio output device are selected as your computer’s default input and output before launching SoundSelf. You can use the MindPlace device as your audio output, but the sound quality will not be as good as if you use a different device (i.e. your computer’s built-in audio) as your audio output. You will have to select “USB” mode on the device using the scroll wheel and pushing the main button to select. It must also be in Spectrastrobe/Audiostrobe (SS/AS) mode, which is default, but check anyway.
If it’s available to you, we absolutely recommend using haptics, like an InHarmony Vibroacoustic Sound Lounge, or a Woojer, to enhance the experience. You will need to enable “subwoofer” in the options menu to take advantage of this.
If it’s working correctly, you'll see some lights turn on as soon as the program gets past the load screen.
Lie down comfortably, with headphones over your ears, the stim glasses over your eyes, and the computer's microphone positioned as close to your voice as is practical. We always use a usb microphone for these purposes, but the computer microphone should work fine too! Begin the experience with the “begin” button on the computer screen. And away you go! Remember to keep toning through the whole experience (though it’s ok to take breaks sometimes).
- Is my AVS unit on?
- Although the glasses control unit looks like it is on, it is only charging, press and hold the power button to turn it on, then select the "USB option".
- My glasses are still not lit up, now what?
- Make sure the aux cord that is plugged into the glasses is also plugged into the bottom of the control unit in the aux port with the icon of the glasses directly underneath it.
- My headphones do not have sound coming out of them once the AVS glasses are lit up, what should I do?
- Make sure your computer still has your headphones connected to the audio (as it sometimes changes the audio over to the AVS glasses output).
- I did all these steps and am still unable to run the AVS Soundself experience, anything else to be mindful of?
- Reset Soundself after these changes are made